Saturday, February 14, 2009

Still going!


OK so it is Valentines Day and a good time to check on progress. This morning I did my first 5 mile run. Now I realize that in comparison to the 26 (maybe if I ignore the .2 it will go away) miles that a marathon requires, 5 is not many. But baby steps. I am finding that running here in our housing development allows for a lot of distractions. For example, neighbors who stop me and ask me to babysit, stray cats attacking young children, a friend's dog escaping and trying to forcefully make me her valentine.

All in all I am proud of myself that I haven't quit and that is an accomplishment. I am learning some important life lessons on these runs. First of all I am learning how to effectively argue with myself. I was already good at arguing with others so perhaps this is the next natural step. Convincing myself to keep moving sounds something like this "Yes it is hot out here, but if I can make it up the next hill, then I can walk for a little bit. Well now I am up the hill and it would be stupid to waste the downhill walking!" Think what you will of my intelligence but the fact that I can easily fool myself into continuing is what keeps me out there.

The other important lessons I have learned are that toenails are extremely over rated and music is extremely underrated. So until next time, Tom Petty and I will be out there hoping that the dream doesn't get too far ahead of us.

No comments: